Being a Wedding DJ and Master of Ceremonies means I really have keep up to date on pop culture. While there are always the “classics” when it comes to wedding reception music, new songs become popular every season. I like to get to know my couples, so I can steer them in right direction when it comes to reception music, especially if they’re unsure about what music choices they want for different events. Most couples have thought about their First Dance music, but many haven’t considered that they may want a specific song for the Bouquet Toss or Cake Cutting Ceremony.
The song choices for each reception event help tell your love story, so it’s important to choose songs that represents you. While I am writing a list of some of the most popular songs for each reception event, you should always go with what means the most to you. And remember, your song choice will be important in creating the atmosphere you want at your wedding. It can be romantic, fun, nostalgic, and so much more. So, without further ado, here is a list of some of the more popular songs used at specific reception events:
For the First Dance, it’s so incredibly important that you choose the song that represents you and your love story!
- “Make You Feel My Love” — Adele
- “A Thousand Years” — Christina Perri
- “Stand by Me” — Ben E. King
- “Love” — Lana Del Ray
- “All of Me” — John Legend
Finding the perfect Father/Daughter dance can be tricky. You want something special and meaningful, but not romantic.
- “It’s for My Dad” — Nancy Sinatra
- “To Sir with Love” — Lulu
- “I Loved her First” — Heartland
- “My Girl” — The Temptations
- “Isn’t She Lovely” — Stevie Wonder
Same not as with the Father/Daughter dance. Meaningful but not romantic.
- “Sweetest Devotion” — Adele
- “You’ll be in my Heart” — Phil Collins
- “I’ll Stand by You” — The Pretenders
- “Home” — Phillip Phillips
- “You’re Gonna Be” — Reba McEntire
Cake Cutting Ceremony
This can be fun or romantic!
- “Honey Bee” — Blake Shelton
- “Build me Up Buttercup” — The Foundations
- “Hit Me with Your Best Shot” — Pat Benatar
- “Stuck Like Glue” — Sugarland
- “You and Me” — Dave Matthews Band
The Bouquet Toss is definitely a good time for some fun, on-the-nose songs.
- “One Way or Another” — Blondie
- “Eye of the Tiger” — Survivor
- “Another One Bites the Dust” — Queen
- “Dear Future Husband” — Meghan Trainor
- “Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)” — Beyonce
Like the Bouquet Toss, this is a fun event that deserves a fun song. Or a sexy one!
- “Let’s Get It On” — Marvin Gaye
- “SexyBack” — Justin Timberlake
- “Who Let the Dogs Out” — Baha Men
- “Wild Thing” — Tone Loc
- “I Like the Way You Move” — Outkast
You can do just about anything with this event. The music can be romantic, fun, and anything in between. It’s a great way to end the night and begin looking forward to your future together.
- “Best Day of my Life” — American Authors
- “All You Need is Love” — The Beatles
- “Marry You” — Bruno Mars
- “You’re My Best Friend” — Queen
- “Don’t Stop Believing” — Journey